- Achieving my first specialist new music national radio show on amazing radio.
- Being nominated for an AIM Award for Indie Champion by Simon Raymonde
- Getting a namecheck in The Guardian from Miranda Sawyer
- Being asked to be a pundit on the BBC Sound of 2013 poll
- Chairing a panel At Liverpool Soundcity
- Speaking on a panel at M For Montreal Festival
- Gaining Mike Joyce as a boss at Beatwolf Radio and working alongside Jo Good, Vic McGlynn, Dave Haslam and others,
- Compering Split Festival at the invitation of The Futureheads,
- Meeting radio legends of mine: John Kennedy, Tom Robinson and Maryanne Hobbs
- Djing at Kendal Calling and at a venue owned by Godspeed You! Black Emperor,
- Booking the line up and undertaking artist liaison again for Rochdale Feelgood Festival,
- Meeting and interviewing so many artists and labels that I adore,
- Getting asked to send a demo in to my favourite radio station, &
- THE MUSIC..
It’s hard for me to comprehend how 2013 will top 2012 but i’m crossing my fingers in hope that one day soon i’ll be able to work full time in the music/radio industry.
This week the BBC launched their shortlist for the Sound Of 2013 (which I contributed to *excited squeal*) and today they revealed the winner is Haim!
Incase you missed it recently too, amazing radio have launched their own Tips For 2013 list which is pretty massive and features Haim too..
04/01/13 Amazing Radio 1-3pm
So for my first show of the year it would be rude to do anything other than play some of my tips for 2013 right? which means i’ve cooked up another long list, yes i’m all about the lists – if you didn’t check out my top albums of 2012 last week HERE then you’ve be missing out..
What to expect tomorrow? Well whilst i think there are a number of male vocalists out there that will do well in 2013 (to name a few: Dan Croll, Luke Sital Singh and Tom O’dell) there are three main trends that I can see.. the girl band is back and i’m not talking about the Spice Girls or Girls Aloud, sexy all female groups that know their way around their instruments and aren’t scared to make some bold statements, Savages, Pins and todays interviewees HAIM I salute you..
Temples are on of my biggest tips for the year as I expect the psych revival i’ve been banging on about for two year to go from strength to strength in 2013. Tame Impala are almost hitting the mainstream now, clocking regular Xfm airplay and topping the NME’s best albums of 2012. Unbelievable to someone who bought their debut EP and watched them play twice to a sparse early afternoon pyramid stage at Glastonbury two years ago..
It’s like the Libertines all over again too right? Palma VIolets, Peace, Cut Your Hair, Childhood and others showing that guitar bands never really went out of fashion, and did we really think Brother would be the saviour of guitar music?! C’mon now..
To Kill A King will be on the bandstand picking an upbeat number to share and the voice-thrower himself Von Pip is back with a new year cracker..
You can expect some musical delights from my predictions for the year alongside a gorgeous chat with BBC Sound of 2013 winners Haim about low blood sugar, singing jingles for pennies, their love for Electric Guest and singing backing vocals on their LP Mondo as well as blaming Ben Lovett of Mumford & Sons for pretty much EVERYTHING..
LAST WEEKS PLAYLIST